Energy Management System
An energy management system (EnMS) is a framework for energy consumers, including industrial, commercial and public sector organizations, to manage their energy use. It helps companies identify opportunities to adopt and improve energy-saving technologies, including those that do not necessarily require high capital investment. In most cases, the successful implementation of an EnMS requires specialized expertise and staff training.
On completion of this course, participants will be able to specifies energy management system (EnMS) requirements, upon which an organization can develop and implement an energy policy, and establish objectives, targets, and action plans which consider legal requirements and information related to significant energy use.
An EnMS enables an organization to achieve its policy commitments, act as needed to improve its energy performance and demonstrate the conformity of the system to the requirements of this International Standard.
This International Standard applies to the activities under the control of the organization, and application of this International Standard can be tailored to fit the specific requirements of the organization, including the complexity of the system, degree of documentation, and resources.
This course is based upon International Standard and emphasis on the Plan – Do – Check – Act (PDCA) continual improvement framework and incorporates energy management into everyday organizational practices, In the context of energy management, the PDCA approach is outlined as follows:
- Overview of Energy management system It covers what, why and how about Energy Management systems. It also includes goals, scope, overview and benefits of EnMS and overall awareness and introduction to energy management standards and PDCA cycle with summary for EnMS
- Definitions It covers Definitions for Energy, objectives, ENMS, targets etc to understand energy related terminology
- Energy management system requirements It covers details of all EnMS requirements like Energy Policy, Planning, Energy Objectives and targets, action plan, operational controls, and documentation, Nonconformance and Corrective and Preventive Actions etc.
- EnMS Documentation It covers need of documents, definition and 4-tier documentation structure. It also covers list of all documents, Procedures and records required as per EnMS standards.
- Plan: conduct the energy review and establish the baseline, energy performance indicators (EnPIs), objectives, targets and action plans necessary to deliver results that will improve energy performance in accordance with the organization’s energy policy;
- Do: implement the energy management action plans;
- Check: monitor and measure processes and the key characteristics of operations that determine energy performance against the energy policy and objectives, and report the results;
- Act: take actions to continually improve energy performance and the EnMS..